Consumerism has seeped into almost every aspect of our lives. Almost everyone is trying to get us to consume the product they are selling. But there is an alternative… an alternate community… a community that gives far more than it takes. A community where you can find mutual acceptance, encouragement, and dependability. A community of which you are personally invited to be a vital part.
00:00 An alternative
02:00 Tacos and turkeys
07:50 The difference
09:50 We need each other
11:30 5 parts from Acts
16:10 Typical objections
20:00 A little hw
22:45 Qs and updates
MAIN POINTS & Qs
– The church is not a product to consume but a community to join.
– We choose consumerism over community because consumerism is just easier.
– Religious Consumerism leaves us unsatisfied, unhealthy, and alone.
– In a Jesus Following Community we find a life worth living with people who think we are worth loving.
– We cannot be the Church alone.
– A Jesus Following Community finds unity in and even because of diversity.
– Community requires commitment.
– We are a community purposely in and purposely for our larger community.
– We find true life when we commit to a true community together.
Challenge this week:
Read 1 Corinthians 12:12-31
Pray: Show me how I can play my role in the Body.
- How have you seen God working this week?
- Read 1 Corinthians 12:12. What analogy would you use when trying to describe a Jesus-Following Community?
- Jon said, “We cannot be the Church alone.” Do you agree or disagree? If that’s the case, what role do you think a “personal relationship with Jesus” plays in a Jesus-Following Community?
- What would it look like for you to more fully join a Jesus-Following Community? Do you have any objections/concerns/barriers that Jon didn’t address?
- How can your group pray for you?
Full Transcript: https://www.yourcrosscreek.com/media/2022-03-27.pdf
👋 | SAY HI → https://www.yourcrosscreek.com/welcome/
📜 | EPISODE BIBLE VERSES → Matthew 28:18-20, 1 Peter 2:9-10, Hebrews 10:23-25, 1 John
🗂️ | RESOURCES
→ The High Cost of Consumer Christianity: https://medium.com/interfaith-now/the-high-cost-of-consumer-christianity-69e4c38fbcc
→ Leo Tolstoy- How Much Land Does a Man Need?: http://www.online-literature.com/tolstoy/2738/
🤝 | DONATE to Crosscreek → https://www.yourcrosscreek.com/donate/
🩳 | #forSalem FOR JUDSON Clothing Closet Shopping List → https://a.co/itJVTDV
Like, comment & subscribe to stay updated with the latest content!
SUBSCRIBE + FOLLOW @yourcrosscreek – Crosscreek Community Church:
🎧 | Podcast → https://www.yourcrosscreek.com/welcome/#podcast
🎥 | YouTube → https://www.youtube.com/yourcrosscreek/?sub_confirmation=1
🖼️ | Instagram → https://www.instagram.com/yourcrosscreek/
👍🏽 | Facebook → https://www.facebook.com/yourcrosscreek/