Religious people seem to love rules. Why is that? Jesus gives us something so much better than a new set of do’s and don’ts. He gives us the Holy Spirit of God.
[00:48] We think if we can control ourselves with rules we can control how happy God is with us.
[01:44] “Religious rules” are usually based on arbitrary preferences, cultural norms, and blatant prejudices.
[02:40 ] Jesus didn’t give us new rules… he gave us the Holy Spirit.
[05:33] The Holy Spirit is the key to living as the people of God.
[06:240 The Holy Spirit is making Jesus Followers into who Jesus would be if he was living their life.
[08:43] The Holy Spirit empowers and teaches the new people of God to live the new life of God.
[12:06] The Holy Spirit does what rules can’t… he changes the human heart.
[14:48] The Holy Spirit makes rules obsolete.
[16:30] We can work with the Holy Spirit or we can get in his way.
[18:30] The Holy Spirit inspired the Bible, but the Holy Spirit is better than and more than the Bible.
[19:40] Goal for this week: Listen for / to the Holy Spirit.
[21:35] Rules bring punishment and guilt. The Holy Spirit brings freedom and life.
- What stood out, bothered, confused, interested you in this week’s message?
- On a scale of “Oh, that’s absolutely right” to “This is outright heresy,” how comfortable are you with the idea that “the Holy Spirit makes rules obsolete?” Why do you think you feel that way?
- Read Galatians 5 vv16-18 and the main points from this weeks’ message. What do you think it means to “be led by the Holy Spirit?”
- What will you do this week as you practice intentionally listening to/for the Holy Spirit?
- How can your group pray for you this week?
🖨️ |TRANSCRIPT → https://www.yourcrosscreek.com/media/2023-01-29.pdf
👋 | SAY HI → https://www.yourcrosscreek.com/welcome/
📜 | EPISODE BIBLE VERSES → Galatians 5 vv17-25
👨👩👧👦 | JOIN A GROUP → https://www.yourcrosscreek.com/connect
🍞 | GATHER TOGETHER → https://www.yourcrosscreek.com/gathering |
4:30pm on Sundays
🤝 | GIVE TO CROSSCREEK → https://www.yourcrosscreek.com/donate/
Like, comment & subscribe to stay updated with the latest content!
SUBSCRIBE + FOLLOW @yourcrosscreek – Crosscreek Community Church:
🎥 | YouTube → https://www.youtube.com/yourcrosscreek/?sub_confirmation=1
🖼️ | Instagram → https://www.instagram.com/yourcrosscreek/
👍🏽 | Facebook → https://www.facebook.com/yourcrosscreek/