At a time when our society seems so divided, the Church only seems to add to or even instigate much of the division. But Jesus said unity should be a defining characteristic of those who follow him. What have we missed? Is true unity even possible anymore?
00:51 SHORT Welcome
01:40 What’s with all the denominations?
03:15 Those who’ve been hurt
05:10 We’re bound to disagree
08:00 Our identities divide us
11:30 Unity isn’t sameness
13:00 What holds us together
15:55 So this week…
18:15 Passionate about…?
19:55 Closing things with Monica
🔔 Don’t forget to subscribe 🙂 https://bit.ly/yourcrosscreek
💬 Let us know you’re here! https://bit.ly/wlcmccc
Questions & Notes: https://www.yourcrosscreek.com/media/2022-02-20_cg.pdf
▶ Upcoming #SalemOregon Gatherings
February 27th, 4:30pm at 525 Idylwood Dr. S. in South Salem, Oregon.
Music, Food, Communion, gentle hangout. Stuff for kids. It’s a good time.
Text PARTY to 94000 to receive reminders & news about our in-person events.
▶ YOUTH CONNECT
For Middle & High Schoolers. 1st + 3rd Sundays at 5 pm (Next one: Feb 20).
www.yourcrosscreek.com/youth/ for more info
▶ #forSalem FEBRUARY Opportunity: Adopting Avamere
Bring your donated clothing to church on February 27, 2022. Needs: Men & Women’s Size M-XL Pants, sweaters and shirts!
▶ Suggested Bible Readings:
1 Corinthians 3, Galatians 5:13-26, 1 John
▶ Music we listened to making this episode:
The Porter’s Gate – The Greatest Commandment: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pElUWTNsYXU
The Red Jumpsuit Apparatus – Face Down: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ENXvZ9YRjbo
Journey – Don’t Stop Believin’: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VcjzHMhBtf0
▶ Subscribe to the Podcast & listen on the go:
▶ Donate to Crosscreek & keep a good thing goin’: https://www.yourcrosscreek.com/donate
• One of the greatest barriers to discovering the life Jesus offers is discovering the divisions within Jesus’ family.
• Much of the hurt we’ve seen lately has been caused by someone putting a personal view above a personal you.
• Disagreements can either destroy relationships or strengthen relationships.
• We use the identities we choose for ourselves to divide ourselves.
• Jesus followers are united in the identity Jesus gives us.
• Since Jesus loves us we can use our differences to strengthen our relationships.
• It’s not shared politics, theologies, or beliefs that allow us to live united… It’s the Holy Spirit.
• Unity begins with the choice to allow the Holy Spirit to change us one choice at a time.
݀• Try this week:
– Read: Gal 5:22-23
– Pray: In my interactions with others empower me to display these qualities that you have given me.
– Ask: Where is my identity? In this view, or in Jesus? Am I more passionate about this view, or this you?
• We can lovingly disagree b/c we are in the same family.
1. How have you seen God working this week?
2. Why do you think it is so easy to be divided right now?
3. Have you ever chosen to put a view over a you? Has anyone ever put a view over you? What did you feel and/or learn in those experiences?
4. Read Galatians 5:22-26. Jon said, “Unity begins with the choice to allow the Holy Spirit to change us one choice at a time.” What are some ways you could see this practically playing out in your life?
5. How can your group pray for you this week?