Consumerism has made life hollow… artificial… disposable… We can’t enjoy and live in the “now” because we are always looking for more, newer, or better. This cycle of unsatisfaction affects every part of our lives. Maybe we need something else. Something we can’t consume… but something we can be.
00:00 Looking for something better
01:40 Feeling disinterested and indifferent
04:00 Individualistic consumerism
05:30 Not the first time…
08:00 Nothing wrong with…
10:00 Needed ingredients.
12:15 A purpose
14:20 What are we longing for?
16:05 A little prep work
18:00 Qs and updates
MAIN POINTS & Qs
- For the last century we have made church into another product to individually consume.
- Many people have realized that the product the Church is offering isn’t delivering on its promises.
- The Church isn’t a product to individually consume… but a purposeful community to join.
- Religious expression often becomes a way to indulge self instead of deny self.
- If religious observance isn’t accompanied by a community committed to justice and love, it’s all an empty sham.
- The world doesn’t need another product to consume.
- We need a community that invites us to discover, enjoy, and share the life Jesus offers… together.
- Jesus is real. His kingdom is real. And we are invited to a real life of purpose and love through Jesus.
- The life Jesus offers is only realized and lived out within a community.
Challenge this week:
- Read: Eph 4:11-16
- Dream: What would it look like for me to purposely join this type of community?
- Where have you seen God’s love this week?
- Read 1 John 2:15-17. What stands out to you? How would you relate this passage to our conversation about following Jesus and the death of consumerism?
- How would you describe what it means/looks like to “Follow Jesus?”
- What is an example of what it would look like for you to give up your own way, take up your cross, and follow Jesus tomorrow?
- How can your group pray for you this week?
Full Transcript: https://www.yourcrosscreek.com/media/2022-03-20.pdf
👋 | SAY HI → https://www.yourcrosscreek.com/welcome/
📜 | EPISODE BIBLE VERSES → Amos 5:21-24 https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Amos%205%3A21-24&version=msg
AND Matthew 28:18-20 and Ephesians 4:11-16
🗂️ | RESOURCES
→ Fear Isn’t Keeping them Home, It’s Indifference (Why Church Attendance Has Plummeted) https://careynieuwhof.com/fear-isnt-keeping-them-home-its-indifference-why-church-attendance-has-plummeted/
🤝 | DONATE to Crosscreek → https://www.yourcrosscreek.com/donate/
🩳 | #forSalem FOR JUDSON Clothing Closet Shopping List → https://a.co/itJVTDV
Like, comment & subscribe to stay updated with the latest content!
SUBSCRIBE + FOLLOW @yourcrosscreek – Crosscreek Community Church:
🎧 | Podcast → https://www.yourcrosscreek.com/welcome/#podcast
🎥 | YouTube → https://www.youtube.com/yourcrosscreek/?sub_confirmation=1
🖼️ | Instagram → https://www.instagram.com/yourcrosscreek/
👍🏽 | Facebook → https://www.facebook.com/yourcrosscreek/